Thursday, November 11, 2010

Becoming More Cordial

On November 9, 2010 in Charlotte, NC airport, I met a lady that had to be set up Fate or Divine Intervention. I walked over to my gate which was very empty and I could have sat anywhere. But something guided my feet to sit in this lady's area across from her. She was on her cell phone and of course my Blackberry was glued to my hand. I would glance up occassionally to watch people walk by but that was it. Out of nowhere, she closed her phone and my emails stopped coming to my phone. I put my phone in my lap and glanced up once more. When I did, we made eye contact, both smiled and say "Hello!" I guessed she picked up on my positive spirit and asked if I could watch her luggage while she went to the restroom. Due to the sincerity in her voice, I agreed to do so. Well when she returned, an hour long conversation sparked between us like we had been knowing each other for years. She was very positive, humble, and filled with wisdom. She even gave me insight on a state I was considering relocating to (never saw that coming). Then as the conversation progressed, I was able to give her a professional contact for her daughter, who is a lawyer, to network with. When it was time for me to board the plane, we quickly exchanged contact information and she gave me a motherly hug.

Now I will admit I am usually very leery of people I meet in the airport as well as other public places and I am usually not that friendly. But for some reason, that leery feeling did not surface with her. It was like she was an angel in disguise. I am a strong believer that everyone we meet, we meet for a reason.

Cordial Communication a rare commodity in today's society that is filled with everyone being self absorbed, rude, and uptight. Cordial Communication can be the key to many things in life. Sometimes the things we are looking for in life just might be staring us directly in the face, but we are too stubborn to say Hello and smile. A simple hello can brighten someone's day, open doors you never knew existed, or provide insight on countless opportunities.

I am glad I was not too self absorbed in my Blackberry phone and was cordial enough to speak to this lady I truly enjoyed talking with her. I do not know why Fate caused me to sit on her side of the airport lobby, but I am glad I did and I will definitely keep in contact with her.

Positivity is Contagious, have you infected someone with Positivity today?

No comments:

Post a Comment